Sorry about the lack of posts lately, but I’ve been on a bit of a whirlwind of trips, first to Delhi, India, attending the Dell Women’s Entrepreneurial Network annual conference, then to New York for a series of meetings and events. And though I’ve been back from Delhi, I have to tell you, I still regret my packing choices!
What I brought actually limited me in my mobility. First of all, it was hot. And I don’t mean just hot, but kind of unbearable hot. Nothing could have really prevented the melting in the 46°C/115°F heat, but there is much more I could have worn to keep me a bit more comfortable. Not to mention that there are certain clothing customs for women in india, so keeping ones knees and shoulders covered makes life a bit more comfortable.
- Loose fitted clothing – stuff the air can get behind.
- Natural fabrics – like cotton and linen. Jersey fabrics are perfect as well.
- Scarves – light fabrics that can cover your shoulders/head in the beating sun.
- Hats – the wider the brim, the better. Not always easy to pack, but a straw wide brim would have been perfect.
- Long skirts & pants in loose fabrics – jersey, linen, etc.
- Breathable comfortable running shoes – for trekking around.
- Sturdy, comfortable sandals – for getting a little more dressy.
What you should NOT pack (which I did and totally died):
- Denim – yes it’s cotton, but it doesn’t breath. Perhaps a lighter denim in a loose-fitting cut would have worked, but my slim-fit jeans were awful.
- Polyester or other synthetic fabrics – I had several dresses I wore in these fabrics and they were drenched with sweat stains (ew) about 30 minutes into any activity.
- High heels, heeled wedges, heeled anything – even though they were sandals, it was nearly impossible to wander around the often uneven streets. And my feet swelled terribly.
- Shorts – showing the knees seemed to be more riské than even showing the shoulders.
- String bikini – I’d stick with a more modest bathing suit with a cute cover up. Even at the westernized hotel we were staying at, my string bikini seemed a bit OTT.
So, if you are packing to go somewhere super hot, here area few pieces for guidance. Together, you can mix and match and look stylish without being super uncomfortable: