I used to search “dress with loose top” when I was looking for what is actually called a Blouson style dress. Blouson style is usually associated with things like bomber jackets – loose (or blousing) on top, tight at the waist. The top of the garment using hangs a bit over the waist band. In some instances I’ve also seen it spelled Bloussant and seen the same thing described as Draped (though draped and draping is slightly different – and I’ll cover that in another post).

And forget bomber jackets, it is a VERY flattering shape on a dress. Because of the drapiness of lighter fabrics, the loose-fitted top can give the illusion that your waist and hips are much smaller than they actually are. It’s a secret I was very happy to learn.

Here are a few lovely examples so you can see what I mean (even thought hey are on models…I know that isn’t good for the evidence):

Laundry by Shelli Segal Blouson Sequin Halter Dress at Bloomingdales $150

Seed Swap Dress at Modcloth $55

Tinley Road Tinley Road Color Block Bloussant Dress at Piperlime $60

Adrianna Papell Sequin Gown at Nordstrom $258



Leave a reply